Monday, June 28, 2010

Recent Work in Printmaking

I've been busy this summer making use of my free time in the print studio (helping the tech as her assistant gives me access to the shop, which is awesome). With the freedom to explore whatever I want, I've been just kind of messing around with processes that I don't usually get a chance to explore. First off, I had been wanting to see if I could successfully print something that made use of brightly colored poster-board. By printing things in a way that the black fill reversed out the image, I was able to knock out an image from the color and still have that brilliant vibrancy of the paper show through:


Alongside this little experiment, I had been messing around with my large bank of collected imagery, mashing things together on found paper to try and get some interesting and dense images:


From this, I also wanted to try something outside of silkscreen since I had been focusing on it so much. To be honest, I think this next experiment was my favorite thing to do, and I plan to do more:


This little mashing together of mediums was very fun, and I think I'm going to build another photo-etch plate sometime soon. Being able to bring my found illustrations into another medium that allows for some combination is really exciting, and I like how excited others get when they see these pieces (One sold at the First Friday Art Walk for $25, I was thrilled).

Click any of the piece titles if you want to see an enlarged version of the works on my Flickr site.

No comments:

Post a Comment